-- The Other Group --
the success and failure of arguments
countering alternative cosmologies
[RCS as content 6/2010] $Revision: 1.85 $
Table of Content
The archive of art talk (1999 - 2007) has been moved to [spaces.org]. In July 2008 this domain was converted to the collection of notes on speculative cosmology.
This is a collection of essays and shorter snippets mostly by others for and against alternative cosmologies. Some have no common link except as speculation. Some weird things are just outrageously funny.
Direct links to some files located here:
- [An introduction to this domain] -- long, with a good many links pointing elsewhere and some to the items below.
- [Books] I have turned comments on books to Toledo Plasma Works. See their website "ContraryBooks.com".
- [Annotated version of ten Objections to Velikovsky by Leroy Ellenberger] Probably 15 years out of date, and starting to show its age, although still pointed up in 2010.
- [C. L. Ellenberger] Leroy has been my inspiration in developing this collection of notes.
- [Tom Bridgman, Ph.D., critique of Don Scott's book The Electric Universe] Tom writes, "I could hardly go 2-3 pages in Scott's book without finding major ridiculous claims."
- [Something About Tom Bridgman, by Stephen J. Crothers] Crothers notes that Tom "disparages and ridicules people he sees as enemies of his version of astronomy and astrophysics."
- [Tim Thompson objects to Don Scott too], Tim calls it "a prose-based sentimental approach of the electric-sun hypothesis."
- ["Breathtaking nonsense"] Clube and Napier's meteor and comet book, The Cosmic Serpent (1982): some critical notes. Remote site.
- [An incomplete review of] The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes (2006), by Richard Firestone, Allen West, and Simon Warwick-Smith, which proposes a galactic supernova as the source for the destruction at the start of the Younger Dryas. I stopped the write-up in 2009. Remote site.
- [Velikovsky's theory to be axed] Rens van der Sluijs, 2009, a public statement at Thunderbolts.info and therefore probably the official final word directed at the unbelievers.
- [Failure of the Comparative Method] David Talbott and others.
- ["Absolute balderdash."] Comet expert and professor speaks up. Comets cannot be electric, Wiki users claim. They should know. Actually, they voted for their favorite HS physics teachers.
- [Absolute Negative Evidence] disproves all of Velikovsky, claims Ellenberger. It's all about Bristlecone Pines, proving once and for all how wrong some people can be. "So? They survived," said Velikovsky. I love it.
- [The Birth of Monotheism] By Velikovsky, a long unpublished statement of faith removing the suspicion that the sojourn in Babylon forged monotheism. As if we didn't know.
- [Thoth Newsletter] Probably the most interesting and informative of documents on the web dealing with the Saturnian Polar Configuration, written during the formative period in the theoretical development from 1997 to 2004. Originally at 'Kronia.com', but since March of 2010 the site has been scuttled. Since June of 2010 an alternate set of documents is available at "Loyd's" site, known as [sci2.lefora.com]. Also find it [here] and [here too] and [here also].
- [Talbott's Saturn Theory Disputed] by Ivar Nielsen, 2009. Nielsen supports a Milky Way-based Mythology, based on a spiritual understanding derived from dreams and visions.
URL of this page: http://othergroup.net/index.php
This page last updated: Wednesday, September 12th, 2012
Feel free to email me with any comments or corrections.
jno (at) othergroup (dot) net
I'll be glad to add relevant comments or essays
Copyright © 2010 - 2018 Jno Cook
Permission to reprint in whole or in part is granted,
provided full credit is given.